Tuesday, June 28, 2016
Second Texan to lose a leg to flesh eating bacteria after becoming infected during a Father's Day trip to the beach
A second Texas man is facing the prospect of losing a leg after being infected with a flesh-eating bug on a Father's Day trip to the beach.
Adrian Ruiz, 41, of Buda, is in a serious condition in hospital 10 days after discovering a red rash running up his shin.
It has since been diagnosed as a flesh bubbling bacteria that has left him at serious risk of losing his entire limb.
Officials believe Mr Ruiz picked up the rare condition while swimming at Port Aransas on Friday, June 17.
He reportedly started feeling unwell the following day.
Pictures show the red coluored rash that developed on his leg, forcing him to attend Seton Medical Center Hays in Kyle, Texas, where he was diagnosed with vibrio vulnificus and admitted to ICU.
The ailment is a bacteria caused by eating under-cooked shellfish or by entering contaminated water with a cut or open wound.
Doctors have since brought it under control but Mr Ruiz is still potentially going to have to lose a leg.
Surgeons do, however, hope that is an outcome they can avoid.
Credit to Daily Mail