The earlier Ukraine "anti-terrorist" operation in Solvyansk has resulted in the death of at least 2 servicemen and now tensions are roiling in Odessa as the Ukraine government tries to live up to the IMF's demands or "fight or no money". Violent clashes have broken out at a pro-Ukraine rally in Odessa and at least one person is dead. As the live feed below shows, things are getting out of control fast. Ukraine's acting president adds:
- *TURCHYNOV SAYS OPERATION PROGRESSING SLOWER THAN GOVT WANTED
- *TURCHYNOV URGES SEPARATISTS TO LAY DOWN WEAPONS AND SURRENDER
- *UKRAINE REBELS HIDING BEHIND HOSTAGES, CIVILIANS: TURCHYNOV
Ukrainian authorities have also banned Russian air companies from making flights to the eastern Ukrainian cities; and, perhaps ironically to some, Russia has called for an emergency UN meeting to discuss Ukraine's actions.
The initial operation started in Solvyansk...
- UKRAINE'S ACTING PRESIDENT SAYS OPERATION IN EASTERN TOWN OF SLAVIANSK WAS COMPLICATED BY THE USE OF HUMAN SHIELDS, DID NOT PROGRESS AS QUICKLY AS HOPED FOR
- UKRAINE'S ACTING PRESIDENT SAYS OPERATION IN SLAVIANSK CONTINUES, CALLS ON PRO-RUSSIAN SEPARATISTS TO LAY DOWN ARMS, FREE HOSTAGES
- *SLOVYANSK REBELS SUFFERED `SIGNIFICANT' LOSSES: TURCHYNOV
Then they moved to Odessa:
- *CLASHES BREAK OUT AT PRO-UKRAINIAN RALLY IN ODESSA
- *ONE PERSON DEAD IN ODESSA CLASHES, HROMADSKE TV REPORTS
"There are at least 10 injured, have shrapnel wounds, there is a traumatic injury from a weapon. At the moment, both sides are building barricades in different areas of the city center, some of the streets has captured one side, some - other "
According to local media, the site of the collision are fifteen hundred aggressive young people, many of whom are armed. Gathered chanting: "Glory to Ukraine!", "Death to the enemies", "Moskal knives." In the course went firecrackers, smoke grenades, batons. Fighting used stones from the dismantled bridge, there were "Molotov cocktails". People continue to arrive.
With Molotov Cocktails flying...
And mass brawls:
Credit to Zero Hedge